Initiation and a brief overview
The Department of Geography at Mekliganj College Started its journey in 2013 with B.A. General in Geography under the University of North Bengal with two Guest lecturers, Sri Prasenjit Karmakar and Jaki Ahamed Siddique and B.A Honours Course was started in 2015 under Cooch Behar Panchanan Barma University. The Department of Geography has been operating as a B.A Honours Course since 2017 under the CBCS system. At present, the department has a three-member faculty (3 State Aided College Teachers). , the Department has a good academic record.
Vision and outlook
We focus on inculcating an interest in Geography among our students, with particular effort toward building their analytical skills. In accordance with the larger discipline of our college, the entire syllabus is completed before the semester exams take place.
Methods of teaching
Apart from classroom lectures, the department uses PowerPoint presentations to stimulate learning interests. The department also organizes several educational tours, workshops, and other teaching-learning activities each year to enhance learning capability and to increase a lust for knowledge. Regular assessments through written class work, class tests, and several internal exams ensure that the students are well prepared for their end-semester examinations.
The Honours section of the Department of Geography started its journey in July 2017. So, at present, the Department has no seminar library. But an effort is being taken to organize a seminar library which will constitute relevant books and journals regarding different aspects of geographical affairs, three desktop computers are used for studies and keeping records of academic events. Part of the departmental assets is a laboratory well-equipped with different geographical instruments and necessary maps and satellite imageries.
CBPBU Syllabus for B.A (both Honours & Generic Elective) under the UGC prescribed syllabus template for CBCS Semester system.
Skill Enhancement Course.
Geography is a robust academic subject rich in skills, knowledge and understanding. Geography mainly concerns changes in spatial attributes in a temporal perspective. The Honours program in geography is tailored to meet the student’s specific educational and professional goals in mind. It focuses on spatial studies, qualitative and quantitative, and emphasizes the human-environment relationship. During the program’s first year, the students are trained on advanced concepts of physical and human geography. The third year allows them to concentrate on specific areas of the subject, on which they complete their field reports. After completing the course, the students will be amply prepared for professional careers in geography and allied disciplines like GIS and Remote Sensing. They will also be able to pursue M.A. /M.Sc. Course in Geography. Some common outcomes of the Geography Honours Course may be summarized as.
1. Acquiring Knowledge from Socio-Cultural Geography. Students will acquire an understanding of and appreciation for the relationship between Geography and Culture.
2. Acquiring Knowledge of Physical Geography.
3. Students will have a general understanding of the geomorphological and geotechnical process and formation. They will be able to correlate the knowledge of physical geography with human geography.
4. Acquiring Knowledge of Human Geography. They will be able to acquire knowledge from Human Geography and will correlate it with their practical life.
5. Ability to Interconnect among the community. Through lectures and local, regional, and/or international travel, students will understand the interconnection between people and places and have a general comprehension of how variations in culture and personal experiences may affect our perception and management of places and regions.